Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Kitchen Progress: Moving Doors and Windows

Our kitchen remodel is chugging along.  Our plan started with removing a wall to increase the size of the kitchen and add a walk in pantry.  This required not only removing the wall, but also removing the two original windows in the dining room and one in the kitchen, moving the back door location, installing a new large bay window for above the sink, and moving an interior doorway for better access from the hallway into the kitchen.  It is a long and relatively narrow space - which required thoughtful and careful planning to achieve the best layout to meet our needs.

I really wanted a functional island with a few seats so that I can spend time with my family and friends while I cook.  I've never had an eat in kitchen (as an adult), and really craved the feeling I had growing up where I baked cookies with my mom at the kitchen table.  The width of this kitchen did not really permit a spot for a kitchen table - so I opted for a long and narrow island that is roughly 60% storage/utility and 40% seating.

Moving exterior doors and windows to give better flow was an obvious step in my plan.  Because our kitchen is on the north side of the house, keeping it light and bright is very important to me.  Also, my garden and chicken coop are both out back - so I want to have a good view of them when working at the sink.  For this reason, in addition to the largest bay window we could fit, we chose a 15 light back entry door.  We are very secluded in the middle of our property which is surrounded by woodlands and farmland, so privacy is not really an issue.

Here is a shot of the original windows and door.  The dining room had the two large windows on the left and the dividing wall was standing right before the old back door.  The old window was above the sink.


Our new window and door.  Swoon!    


The kitchen with pantry at back, with electric and insulation ready for the drywall installation.  The 3 floodlight bulbs are where the pendant lights will hang above our new island. 



Other than some help from friends my husband has worked with in the past, we (mostly my husband) did the work up to this point.  My husband amazes me with his electric and plumbing skills.  It must be the engineer in him, because he makes it look so easy.  We did hire professional drywall installers because it's seriously an art to achieve perfectly smooth walls and ceilings.

And, voila! We have walls and a ceiling!

It's very exciting to finally see the room take shape and imagine the finished product.  We still have a long way to go, but the end is in sight (with binoculars).  Next is installing the new plumbing, relocating some HVAC vents, and then flooring installation.  

In my next post, I'll share some of my design elements.  I really love the choices I've made, but can't help but worry that they will all play nicely together. After countless hours researching and choosing elements within our budget and taste, my fingers are crossed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment